Monday 17 December 2012

Solo dinghy refurb'

The latest project in the workshop is a 1980's Solo dinghy. The local sailing club has quite a few of these boats and they race regularly. This one is in to have the ply deck and possibly rubbing strakes replaced and everything else stripped and re-varnished. The boat has seen better days and the GRP hull is faded and chalky with a nice layer of algae.

The deck is really tatty and needs re-doing

First I had to get the ancient gold pinstripes off with a heat gun. Then I washed and sanded the entire hull through the grades of abrasive discs. Next I polished it up with a lambswool mop on a polisher. I gave it a coat of wax polish to help keep future muck off.


The seal on the centreboard slot needs replacing too. When that arrives and is fitted I can flip the boat and take the deck and fittings off and see what lurks beneath!

No comments:

Post a Comment