Wednesday 21 November 2012

14' Strip plank canoe sheathing inside

This weekend I decided to epoxy/glass the inside of the canoe. I used the same 200g/m cloth as the outside. I went through the same procedure of tack clothing the surface, getting the humidity and temp right and making sure the resin was room temp. This time I did it on my own and it took a fair while, most of this was dispensing and mixing the resin. The room was fairly airtight and it was starting to smell of curing epoxy pretty strongly towards the end of wetting out of the cloth. Next time I will wear a mask with charcoal filters.
I rolled the cloth out over the boat and cut it to length. Then I dropped it into the hull and tried to smooth it by pulling rather than brushing with my hand. I still got a couple of ripples in the finished item.


This pic shows the weave that is visible after one coat of epoxy. The next 2 coats do hide this to an extent. On previous canoes I have used 145g/m cloth that seems to be less liable to rippling and is less visible.


One thing to check if you have a go at doing this is how much epoxy is gathering in the middle of the hull at the bow and stern. This can mean the epoxy goes cloudy and bubbly as it exotherms. I had to keep mopping up the excess with a brush. Don't be tempted to spread it around to try and get rid of it as you will get a cloudy patch.



 I didn't get too fussy about the glass at the stems as it gets sanded neatly later and will be hidden behind small bulkheads. The bulkheads are just cedar strips glued together on a flat surface. The shape was taken from the hull by using a process called spiling, its a bit like scribing. These also got sheathed at the same time.

Next up is sanding the inside and planning and making the gunwales. I'm going to leave the sanding for a few days to get a full cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment